Firm: Ellis & Winters LLP
Location: Raleigh - NC
4131 Parklake Avenue, Suite 400
Raleigh, NC 27612
- Tel : 919.865.7002
- Fax : 919.865.7010
- Email : email@example.com
Jon Sasser grew up on a Union County farm, and learned to practice law on Park Avenue. He represents businesses, often Fortune 500 companies, in complex corporate disputes. He was honored in 2015 as North Carolina’s foremost business litigator by Business North Carolina magazine, and has been selected as Raleigh “Lawyer of the Year” for intellectual property litigation (2019) and bet-the company litigation (2016), and securities litigation (2012). Seven times, he has been voted by his peers as one of Super Lawyers’ top ten attorneys in North Carolina.
In recent years, he has obtained dismissals of several securities actions, obtained a $95 million fraud settlement, convinced a state judge to declare a statute unconstitutional, won a treble damages jury verdict for unfair trade practices, and successfully argued to cancel a lis pendens on a $50 million commercial property.
While trying multi-week jury trials and arguing numerous appeals in federal and state court, he has obtained for his clients a $57 million verdict for corporate espionage (North Carolina’s largest verdict of 2008), injunctions under the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act, a leading decision under the Electronic Communications and Privacy Act, a ruling overturning the election of the Mecklenburg County Sheriff, a North Carolina precedent restricting who may sue for contamination, a $275,000 settlement for a 64-year-old woman banished from public property for alleged “dirty dancing,” a $2.5 million jury verdict in a single-family drinking water case, a reversal of a death sentence, a $500,000 contempt citation against a New York Times bureau chief, and a federal decision allowing the Ten Commandments to be displayed in a courtroom.
His clients have included Fortune 500 companies in the industries of chemistry, petroleum, banking, pharmaceuticals, telecommunications, securities, and media/entertainment; a former NFL head coach; Death Row inmates; high school journalists; public officials, hip hop musicians; the ACLU; and the Police Benevolent Association. Accounts of his cases have been published in The New York Times, The Washington Post, The Times of London, The ABA Journal, The American Lawyer, The National Law Journal, The University of Georgia Law Review, The Hofstra Law Review, The Loyola (Los Angeles) Law Review, Columbia Journalism Review, and the George Will column. His first federal court cross-examination (July 1986) is reprinted in Margaret Edds’ book An Expendable Man (New York University Press 2003).
He has summited the Grand Teton, Mt. Whitney, and Mt. Baker, and completed Ironman Florida, Ironman Arizona, and the Boston Marathon. A seven-time member of Team USA, in age-group competitions he has won state championships in track and swimming, placed nationally third (backstroke), and fifth (aquathlon), and finished 17th in the World Triathlon Championships (aquathlon).
Awards and Honors
Awards and Honors
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business ®, “Leader in the Field” for Litigation (2011-2019)
- Benchmark Litigation, North Carolina Litigation Star (2012-2019)
- North Carolina Super Lawyers Magazine, Business Litigation, Securities Litigation, Intellectual Property Litigation, Environmental Litigation, Constitutional Law (2006-2019)
- “Top 10 Super Lawyers in North Carolina” (2011-2017)
- “Top 3 Super Lawyers in North Carolina” (2013-2017)
- “Top 25 Super Lawyers in Raleigh” (2011-2018)
- “Top 100 Super Lawyers in North Carolina” (2011-2018)
- Business North Carolina, Legal Elite, Litigation (2006-2015)
- Top Vote Recipient for Litigation in 2015
- Hall of Fame (2015-2019)
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Bet-the-Company Litigation, Commercial Litigation, Litigation-Intellectual Property, Litigation-Securities (2006-2019)
- Raleigh “Lawyer of the Year” for Litigation-Intellectual Property (2019)
- Raleigh “Lawyer of the Year” for Bet-the-Company Litigation (2016)
- Raleigh “Lawyer of the Year” for Litigation – Securities (2012)
- Lifetime Member, The Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- Platinum Member, The Verdict Club
- Named, Northern California “Super Lawyer”, 2006 – 2019
Ellis & Winters LLP
For over forty years, KCEH has been handling financially precarious insurance claims. Representing everyone from individual personal injury victims to businesses that have had claims wrongfully denied, we are not afraid to take on insurance companies in court. The greatest strength of our firm is our dispute resolution practice. We know how to put pressure on the other side while maintaining open communication. We will continually evaluate your options throughout the process. We realize that every case and every client is unique. We will tailor our counsel to truly fit your concerns. Our team will take on all cases big or small. We know how to handle litigation against big insurance companies and their big law firm. We have done it successfully for years.