Firm: Dickinson Wright
Location: Sunnyvale - CA
800 W. California Avenue Suite 110
Sunnyvale, CA 94086
- Tel : 408-701-6180
- Fax : 844-670-6009
- Email : JDBaker@dickinson-wright.com
Jonathan Baker has 20 years of experience litigating intellectual property cases and counseling clients on intellectual property strategies. He has served as lead counsel in trials before the U.S. International Trade Commission, in district court cases throughout the country, in appeals before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit and the U.S. Supreme Court, and in inter partes review proceedings before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board.
Mr. Baker has represented companies of all sizes in patent, trademark, copyright, and trade secret matters. He has litigated cases in diverse technologies, including computer hardware and software, wireless communications, semiconductors, analog circuitry, life sciences, and financial trading systems.
Mr. Baker’s background in electrical engineering enables him to understand the relevant technology at a deep technical level, while his experience in the courtroom allows him to convey the technological and legal issues clearly and persuasively to judges and juries.
After law school, Mr. Baker clerked for the Hon. Alvin A. Schall on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
- Lead counsel for complainant in ITC investigation asserting two patents related to remote control technology. Defeated two attempts by respondents to dispose of case via early disposition program and took case to trial. Decision pending. In the Matter of Certain Televisions, Remote Controls, and Components Thereof, Inv. No. 337-TA-1263 (USITC)
- Lead counsel for media streaming player manufacturer in Part 177 proceeding at Customs. Won ruling that design-around products avoid infringement and are not subject to exclusion order. HQ Ruling No. H323308 (CBP)
- Lead counsel for respondent in 6-patent ITC investigation related to universal remote control technology. Eliminated three patents before trial and prevailed on the three remaining patents following trial. In the Matter of Certain Electronic Devices, Including Streaming Players, Inv. No. 337-TA-1200 (USITC)
- Lead counsel for defendant on patent related to display and selection of input signals on television. Settled on very favorable terms after claim construction briefing. LG Electronics, Inc. v. Hisense Electronics Mfg. Co. of Am. Corp., et al. (C.D. Cal.)
- Lead counsel in IPR proceeding challenging patent related to selection of TV input signal. Voluntarily dismissed following settlement of related district court litigation. Roku, Inc. v. LG Electronics, Inc., IPR No. 2020-01513 (PTAB)
- Lead counsel for defendant in patent infringement case involving nine patents related to remote control technology for media streaming players and televisions. Won critical claim construction rulings and motion to stay case pending resolution of IPR proceedings. Universal Electronics, Inc. v. Roku, Inc. (C.D. Cal.)
- Co-lead counsel for plaintiff in trade secret misappropriation case involving theft of source code and related trade secrets. Obtained preliminary order against defendant. Stratacache, Inc. v. Chopra, (N.D. Cal.)
- Lead counsel for respondents in U.S. International Trade Commission case related to Bluetooth headsets. Won summary determination of invalidity on all asserted patents. In the Matter of Certain Wireless Headsets, Inv. No. 337-TA-943
- Lead counsel for patent owner in U.S. International Trade Commission case for infringement of patent related to graphical user interfaces for portable electronic devices. In the Matter of Certain Portable Electronic Devices and Components Thereof, Inv. No. 337-TA-994
- Lead counsel for patent owner in IPR proceeding related to seamless expansion of media content. Prevailed on over 80% of challenged claims. Unified Patents, Inc. v. MONKEYmedia, Inc. (PTAB)
- Lead counsel for patent owner in U.S. International Trade Commission case for infringement of patents related to semiconductor chip packaging. Obtained exclusion order against client’s competitor. Certain Encapsulated Integrated Circuit Devices, Inv. No. 337-TA-501
- Represented defendant in patent infringement case involving electronic financial exchanges. Won key claim construction rulings. Fifth Market, Inc. v. CME Group, Inc., et al. (D. Del.)
- Defended commodities exchange in patent lawsuit related to electronic market maker trading systems. Patent invalidated in administrative proceeding after obtaining stay of district court case. CME v. Technology Research Group (N.D. Ill.)
- Lead counsel for defendant in patent litigation involving 3D graphics technology. Won summary judgment of invalidity. FuzzySharp Technologies, Inc. v. ZiiLabs, Inc., Ltd. (N.D. Cal.)
- Represented patent owner in worldwide patent infringement litigation related to cellular network infrastructure in the United States, Holland, Germany and Japan. High Point Sarl (E.D. Va.), (D. Kan.)
Harvard Law School
- cum laude
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
M.S., Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, 1994
University of Maryland
B.S., Electrical Engineering, 1992
- summa cum laude
To remain relevant in today’s global marketplace, businesses need proficient legal advisors to help them navigate the ever-changing world of intellectual property (IP) law.
As a full-service law firm with a team of over 100 attorneys who practice exclusively in the IP field, Dickinson Wright offers strategic counsel to clients concerning all aspects of intellectual property. Because we understand the current trends of the global market, we help both small businesses and international corporations alike understand and leverage their IP rights. And, with a worldwide network of associates in a wide range of technical disciplines, we can readily assist our clients wherever they do business.
Our team works closely with clients to ensure their ideas and technologies stay secure so they can focus on what they do best—business growth and development. We regularly prosecute patent applications and trademark registrations at the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) and the United States International Trade Commission (ITC), while also litigating IP issues across a number of platforms.