Firm: Sheppard Mullin
Location: Dallas - TX
2200 Ross Avenue 20th Floor
Dallas, TX 75201
- Tel : 469.391.7400
- Fax : 469.391.7401
- Email : email@example.com
Jason Mueller is a partner in the Intellectual Property Practice Group in the firm’s Dallas Leader of the Veterans at Sheppard affinity group within the firm.
Jason has tried cases as lead trial counsel before juries in the Eastern, Northern and Southern Districts of Texas. Outside of Texas, he serves as lead trial counsel in courts of California, New York and several other states, representing some of the world’s leading entertainment, energy, healthcare and building products companies.
Jason’s trial experience informs the practical advice and counsel he delivers to clients on intellectual property and advertising issues, and he serves as leader of the firm’s Advertising Industry Team. Beyond the courtroom, represents clients before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and the Trademark Trial and Appeals Board and defends claims or investigations initiated by the Federal Trade Commission, the Texas Attorney General’s Office, the New York Attorney General’s Office and several AG offices in California.
Jason and his team handle all aspects of advertising and marketing law, including sweepstakes, contests, raffles and other promotions. The team provides practical risk analysis and litigation avoidance advice related to national print, radio and television advertising campaigns and issues opinions relating to the adequacy of claim substantiation. The advertising review team is experienced in serving as primary, overflow or escalation counsel for the review of advertisements.
- Exclusive Featured Attorney Representing Dallas TX, Premier Intellectual Property Lawyers 2022-2023
- DAYL Foundation Fellow
- Best Lawyers in Dallas, D Magazine, 2020
- BTI Client Service All-Star, Intellectual Property, 2016
- Texas Rising Star, Texas Monthly Magazine, 2010, 2012, 2015
- 2000, Honorable Discharge, U.S. Army, Infantry NCO
Jason has represented clients in cases worth collectively over $1B, and served as lead trial counsel in 6 jury trials, including patent, copyright and trademark matters. His first-chair experience includes cases in all four districts in Texas as well as numerous courts around the United States.
- Leading Financial Services Company – won motion to dismiss patent infringement claims related to stored value cards for failure to state a cognizable claim of infringement.
- Public downstream energy company – obtained favorable settlement as lead trial counsel defending copyright infringement claims in Northern District of Texas
- Website technology patent owner – obtained complete jury verdict on issues of infringement and validity in Judge Gilstrap’s court as co-lead trial counsel (Eastern District of Texas)
- Major hedge fund – obtained favorable jury verdict as lead trial counsel defending claims of copyright infringement and Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) claim in Southern District of Texas
- Silicon Valley startup – obtained dismissal of core copyright claim brought by craigslist relating to copies of user generated content in Northern District of California as co-lead trial counsel
- Large accessory products company – obtained walk-away settlement as lead trial counsel defending trademark infringement matter in Southern District of Texas
- Energy operations company – obtained favorable settlement as lead trial counsel defending copyright infringement claims in Southern District of Texas
- Consulting and engineering services firm – obtained favorable settlement as lead trial counsel defending copyright claims in the Northern District of Texas
- Construction company – obtained complete victory against claims of copyright infringement of architectural plans in the Northern District of Texas
- Entertainment services company – defend claims alleging misappropriation of celebrity’s right of publicity
- Major Airline – provide advice and counsel regarding advertising claim formulation and analysis of substantiation
- Leading retailer – manage trademark enforcement and disputes
- Leading online dating services provider – provide advice and counsel on trademark, copyright and advertising matters
- Several leading insurance providers – provide advice and counsel on the advertising and marketing claims for services and products related to P&C, life, health and related lines
- National advertising agency – matters involving national marketing campaigns including pre-clearance and substantiation review
- Large national media company – trademark litigation matter involving a major newspaper
- International real estate developer – advice on acquisition of substantial domain name portfolio
- Medical device manufacturer – represented company in its false advertising and patent infringement claims against its primary competitor
- Medical device manufacturer – enforced trade secret and patent claims against foreign competitor
- Leading architectural firm – managed copyright portfolio registration and strategy
- Architectural and development company – asserted copyright claims against infringer
- Major production studio – defended multiple intellectual property lawsuits alleging copyright, trademark and related claims
- Energy services company – managed client review and purchase of IP asset portfolio that included patents and pending applications, software and underlying copyrights, trademarks and trade secrets
- Major airline – managed trademark globalization process involving the worldwide expansion of client’s most strategic trademarks
- Major national sporting goods retailer – routinely provide advice and counsel on IP sweepstakes, contests and general advertising matters
- Represented entrepreneurs and startups by providing advice and counsel regarding protection of intellectual property, business structuring and general business issues. Examples include Terra’s Dancewear; Breastaurant Uniforms; Opposite, Inc.; AI Intellectual Property; Fat Boy Labs; and Utility Concierge, 3 taps, live lovely, MOBI and others
- J.D., Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law, cum laude
- B.S., Ouachita Baptist University, 1995
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas
- Member, Dallas Business Journal Leadership Trust
- Member, Rockwall County Bar Association
- Member, Texas Bar Association
- Member, Dallas Bar Association
- Member, College of the State Bar of Texas
- Former Member, Board of Directors, Qualtrust Credit Union
- Former Member, Steering Committee, Texas Minority Counsel Program (TMCP)
Intellectual property rights may be your most valuable asset in today’s market. Sheppard Mullin is a leader in the protection of those rights, and we are well positioned to help companies protect their intellectual property rights and exploit their commercial potential. In 2015, we were one of the few firms recognized by Law360 as “Intellectual Property Practice Group of The Year”.
We cover in depth all laws governing patents, trademarks, copyrights, trade secrets, false advertising, unfair competition, counterfeiting, grey marketing, and all matters involving intellectual property. We routinely address practical concerns related to the Internet, intranets, e-mail and document and data retention policies, as well as offer cutting edge advice in important related areas such as antitrust, unfair competition, counterfeiting, grey marketing and product diversion. Sheppard Mullin represents clients ranging from Fortune 500 corporations to deserving start-ups and individuals across a wide spectrum of industries.
Sheppard Mullin’s attorneys assist clients to secure and enforce patents, trademarks and copyrights, both domestically and internationally. We also monitor and enforce our clients intellectual property rights on the Internet. Our attorneys are experienced in technology transfers, including assignments, licensing and joint ventures. We also assist our clients to protect proprietary information to avoid loss through employee departures, industrial espionage or other means, as well as create compliance and employee training programs. We have proven expertise in representing clients in trials and appeals in the federal and state courts, in arbitrations and in adversarial proceedings before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, the International Trade Commission, the Federal Trade Commission and other tribunals, as well as in industry investigations such as those before the National Advertising Division of the Council of Better Business Bureaus, Inc.