Margaret Avril Lawson

Firm: Taft
Location: Cincinnati - OH

  • 425 Walnut Street Suite 1800
    Cincinnati, OH 45202-3957
    USA
  • Tel : (513) 357-9388
  • Fax : (513) 381-0205

Since joining Taft in 1982, Margaret has developed a proficiency negotiating licenses and technology transfer agreements in high-stakes industries that include biomedical technology, software, e-commerce, data storage and security, publishing and franchising. As a partner in the firm’s Intellectual Property group, Margaret’s practice focuses on trademark, trade secret, copyright and right of publicity.

Margaret also oversees the registration and maintenance of IP portfolios in the United States and foreign countries and assists clients with cross-border transactions. In the past, she worked on a variety of business and transactional matters at Taft, including mergers, acquisitions and financing transactions.

Margaret has exemplified the Taft commitment to collaboration in every project. With clients ranging from start-up businesses, inventors and nonprofit organizations to well-established research institutions, banks and corporations, Margaret has a reputation for helping clients navigate sensitive and complex issues.

Margaret currently serves on the firm’s executive committee and as chair of the firmwide communication committee. She previously served as a member of the firm’s recruiting committee.

Margaret graduated from Dartmouth College, summa cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa, and received her J.D. from Harvard Law School. She is a member of the Cincinnati Intellectual Property Law Association and the Intellectual Property Law Section of the American Bar Association and serves as Vice President of the Harvard Law School Association of Cincinnati. A published writer and lecturer in trademark, copyright and licensing law, Margaret regularly participates in and moderates the International Trademark Association’s roundtable discussions concerning the right of publicity, trademark and other intellectual property topics.


Taft

Taft Stettinius & Hollister LLP traces its roots back to 1885, when Worthington & Strong was founded by Judge William Worthington and Edward W. Strong. John L. Stettinius and John B. Hollister joined the firm after its founding, at which point the firm became known as Worthington, Strong, Stettinius & Hollister. In January 1923, Judge Worthington passed away. In the following year, a young firm headed by Robert A. Taft (who later became a U.S. Senator) and Charles P. Taft II, sons of former President William Howard Taft, joined the older firm to become Taft Stettinius & Hollister LLP.

With approximately 450 attorneys, Taft is more vibrant and engaged in a wider range of work than ever before — with clients, both individual and corporate, whose needs for legal services range from local to international in scope. The firm has 10 offices in six states: Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, Dayton and Delaware, Ohio; Chicago, Ill.; Indianapolis, Ind.; Northern Kentucky; Ann Arbor, Mich.; and Phoenix, Ariz. In addition, the firm has an established Japanese practice based in the United States.

Throughout the firm’s history, our focus has remained constant: to provide clients, both large and small, with sound legal guidance driven by a collaborative approach to gain optimal results.